Six week introduction to Psychodynamic Counselling
This is our exciting 6 week (once weekly) part-time course for which a Certificate of Attendance will be awarded following successful completion of all requirements.
The course is open to anyone in nursing, caring, teaching voluntary work, customer services, HR and also parents and family members who want to begin to understand those around them and themselves.
The course will also help as a preparation for further training on the Enfield Counselling Service Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling course.
Course date: 29th January 2019
Time: Tuesdays 9.45am – 1pm (with 1 week break for half-term)
Location: ECS, St. Pauls Centre
Deposit of £19.50 to secure your place
Who is the course for?
This 6 week course provides you with an opportunity to explore what counselling is about and will introduce you to basic counselling skills. It will be helpful to anyone with a helping function in their work and also for anyone interested in finding out more about counselling and developing basic communication skills to use both in your personal and professional life.
What are the aims of the course?
- To acquaint you with the counselling training processes and experiential learning.
- To introduce you to personal growth work and an understanding of its place in Psychodynamic counselling training.
- To raise awareness of what psychodynamic counselling is and is not, where its use is appropriate and the basic ethics and responsibilities involved.
What are the entry requirements?
No formal qualifications are required but you should be aware that the course involves experiential learning (using your experiences) and self-awareness exercises.
What learning methods will be used?
- Weekly interactive lectures introducing the psychodynamic approach
- Weekly experiential group facilitated by a Group psychotherapist .
- Reflecting upon and examining attitudes and beliefs towards mental health
- Opportunities to develop self-awareness through sharing experiences with other group members. Practising and trying out new ways of relating with other group members and receiving feedback.
There will be a selection of handouts provided during the course.
What topics are covered on the course?
- Introducing psychodynamic theories
- Introducing and practising basic counselling skills
- Exploring attitudes, values and beliefs about human nature
- Introducing psychopathology and presenting symptoms
- Exploring and acquiring ways of responding through sharing ideas and feedback within the group
There is no formal assessment but a minimum of 80% attendance is required for course completion. On successful completion students will be awarded a Certificate of Attendance. This course is validated by the Enfield Counselling Service.
The course is held at Enfield Counselling Service and consists of 18 hours (3 hours per day) of sessions over 6 weeks. Course dates are given on the enclosed sheet.
NB. Completion of this course does not qualify you to practice as a counsellor.
The course tutors are qualified and experienced psychotherapists and psychodynamic counsellors.
To enrol on the course, please complete the application form and send it together with the enrolment fee of £19.50 to secure your place, to the address below. Full payment is required before start of course.
Students taking the Introductory Course will be considered for entry to the Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling course.
This course has helped me to understand my patients better and I will pursue more training to help them further with counselling skills.
This introductory course has been a great eye-opener and it has given me the confidence to move forward with training to become a counsellor.
Since my introduction course I am now on the Certificate course and I will like to continue here at ECS to train on their Diploma course.